4.24.2007

Tuesday (I was out yesterday)

Hey y'all! I've had an eventful past few days. Where to start??? Last Thursday after work, I decided it was sammich time so I went to Subway because I didn't have the right fixins at home. Got my grub and I was on my way out the door when my pinkie got caught on the door. I walked out, my pinkie stayed in... I screamed multiple obscenities as I made my way to the car and I figured I would shake it off as a little jam. Nope! I think that little sucker is broken! I splinted it myself and have been dealing with the throbs, it's getting a little better. Everyone keeps asking if I'm going to sue Subway, it's just a little pinkie... Not worth it!

Toddles came home that night. We joined some friends for a couple of drinks and had a good time. He got a case of the crazies when we go
t home and was being super silly. I love those times!

Friday, I had to actually work until 5:00. It sucked big time because I would have taken off had I not expected that we get off early like every other Friday. Todd and I had some down time, then went to Goldies for some yummy fried pickles, he got a burger, and I got the chicken club. It was pretty good stuff. Then we headed to the Treat house for a round of Hold 'Em... I really thought I was going to win. Got close but Chris and Court ended up chopping the pot.

Saturday was the biggest day of our weekend, it was the day of T's birthday party. I think we had about 30-35 people there, most played in the 2nd Annual Beer Pong Tournament. It was a lot of fun. Congrats to the winners! Everyone liked the cake I made, which was kind of like strawberry shortcake. Toddles didn't even get a piece of his own birthday cake. He had lots of beer though!

My honey wasn't feeling too hot on Sunday morning. We had a houseful of people and I made a quick brunch for everyone. Fried eggs, hashbrowns, orange danishes, and those dreaded little sausage links per Todd's request. It was nice hanging out my brothers and their ladies, as well as his cousin K
evin. I love having a houseful of people!

It was a really great weekend and he made it better by staying until Monday. Had our quick dinner date and it was time for T to go back to the Lou. *boohoo*

Here's the cake recipe!

White Cake with Strawberries
  • 1 white cake mix
  • 1 can whipped frosting
  • 1 pint fresh strawberries
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/3 C oil, plus a couple tbs. for coating
  • 1 C water
  • sugar for dusting
First, preheat the oven according to the directions on the box and the pan you're using. Prepare your cake pans so the cake doesn't stick. I put a bit of oil in the pans and spread it thoroughly with a paper towel, making sure the entire pan is coated. Then, put 1-2 tbs. of sugar in the pan and shake it until the pan is completely dusted with sugar. It gives the cake a little crunchy coating. Mix the cake according to the box directions and pour it into your pans. Then pop it into the oven and set your timer. While the cake is baking prepare your strawberries. I slice them into about an 1/8th of and inch sized slices. I set two aside for the top of the cake. Slice them as you would normally but leave the tops intact so that you can fan them out. Let the cake cool down. Get your cake stand ready but cutting a piece of wax paper large enough to cover the cake stand into quarters. Place them on the cake stand before you set the first layer on it. Spread some of the icing on the first layer and then top with sliced strawberries. Add the second cake. Ice the sides of the cake first and then the top. Use it sparingly or you'll run out. Then I take the strawberries and place them around the top edge. Put the two fanned strawberries in the middle and voila! A masterpiece...

This is what mine looked like after sitting for over an hour - note - don't add sugar to your strawberries or they will be juicy and won't stick.

No comments: