6.28.2007

mmm... cooking

It's been awhile since I've cooked at home, besides a quick breakfast anyway. Since my fridge started working again, I decided it was time to buy groceries other than bottled water.

Monday after I did my grocery shopping, I made a frozen dinner. It was one of those Amy's organic stuffed focacia. It was pretty tasty, especially washed down with some wine I got in the Lou this past weekend.

Last night I was really excited to cook. I planned on having swordfish, mixed veggies and a salad. They all turned out great!

My salad was a mixture of organic romaine, roma tomatoes, fresh bacon pieces, goat cheese, and a tasty (bottled!) sesame vinaigrette that was more like a balsamic than an Asian dressing.

I marinated the swordfish from an altered allrecipes.com recipe that I found for "firecracker salmon". The marinade called for balsamic vinegar but I couldn't get mine open so I sub'd olive oil, vinegar, and soy mixed together. I mixed that with some brown sugar, Siracha, garlic, cayenne, red pepper flakes, and ginger in a bag and added the swordfish filet for a couple of hours. I preheated my handy Foreman grill and grilled the fish for about 8 minutes, until it was opaque and flaky. Meanwhile, I had a touch of water going in a pot with the steamer basket in it and added some fresh bagged veggies - a mix of sugar snap peas, broccoli, carrots, and some unidentified stringy things - after I picked the celery out. I let the veggies steam with some lemon-pepper seasoning while the fish was cooking. Here's the finished product:


It was a simple and tasty dinner. All in all, it took me all of 15 minutes from start to finish. Next time I'll get something other than swordfish, it's not one of my favorites but I enjoyed its steak-like texture.

No comments: